In Korean, Mark requires two syllables: Ma-keu.

A half-Korean American student in Seoul during the Summer of 2006

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt...

I'm here with five friends from Yale all living in the same building. There are a few more on the same fellowship scattered about in other buildings, but mainly I spend my time with these people.

Some favorites from the ridiculousness that has found its way out of our mouths:

Foster, on facebook stalking girls he meets in Korean clubs: "I feel like the fact that I'm from Yale makes it less sketchy"

"I didn't realize it in elementary school. But when I got to middle school, I was like 'ugh, I'm fat.'"--Me, in a soju-driven confessional on my childhood weight

"I'm a cross between Cary Grant and a wild boar. As Dirty Harry once said, 'make my day'"--American male seeking Korean woman in the K-scene personals

In Korean, you can add "자" to the end to an appropriate verb stem to mean "Let's _______...go, eat, etc," or you can be like Foster:"오자!"(Let's come!)

A Korean man approaches me on the subway platform. He says: "I am Korean man. Not American. I am not married. If I marry American woman, what do you think?"

"죽자!"(Let's die!)--Jane, as we run across a crosswalk-less intersection after our first night out in Seoul

"Your raging Asian fetish is kind of notorious"--Kaila, advising Jane on how to respond to a here-unamed Yalie

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"--all Korean girls after anything out of the ordinary happens

"We're considered skinny in America"--Kaila and Jane before the gym trainer starts laughing at them


(Colossians 4:6)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home