In Korean, Mark requires two syllables: Ma-keu.

A half-Korean American student in Seoul during the Summer of 2006

Monday, July 10, 2006

Let the rain fall down/Feel the rain your skin!/...Rain, rain go away

The rain is pouring down when I walk outside. A half-hour before it had only been drizzling, but now not even my umbrella can keep me from getting completely drenched. I have nowhere to step to avoid huge puddles and no way to stop the wind from blowing water all over my side.

I can't even remember the last time I saw the sun here. As far the weather goes, Korean summers are awful. Gloomy, gray skys are the norm; any spot of blue peeking through this cover is a call for celebration.

Some people love the rain. I am not one of them. Give me snow(every once while), give me sand--I'll frolic in those. But, the only good thing about the rain is the excuse it gives me to listen to my "Songs for Rainy Day" playlist on iTunes.
Of course, rain and clouds don't mean we don't get any of the typical American summer weather. The Korean summer is notorious for its heat and humidity. I can deal with that. But, this whole rain in the summer thing is kind of getting old.

Growing up in Southern California, you can't really help being a little bit picky about your weather. I grew up with summers of constant sunshine, nice, dry heat, and blue skies. That weather didn't change much at all during the rest of the year. After spending one summer in the mid-West and another in D.C. during high school--as well as those first few weeks of fall semester at Yale--I've accepted humidity. I don't like this idea of moist heat. But I can deal. I still get sunshine and blue skies; you win some, you some. But, Korea, this not my idea of summer at all. I left the perfect summertime of San Diego for you, and I get rain and clouds--and heat and humidity. Ah ah. You better shape up soon.

So, I guess I look a little angry in those snow and sand pictures, but I'm really, really happy! Also, Justin Timberlake's new single is awful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home