In Korean, Mark requires two syllables: Ma-keu.

A half-Korean American student in Seoul during the Summer of 2006

Monday, August 07, 2006

Is it enough to love?


In each issue of Newsweek, just a few pages past the table of contents, you’ll find a column called "My Turn." Submitted by anyone, everyone, these pieces address the classic college application essay prompt: tell us something about yourself.

I sent in an essay to Newsweek's "My Turn" high school essay contest my junior year of high school. Reading it now, the essay is a pretty cheesy, not-so-original piece about my relationship with my hal muh ni--but it ended up being selected as a runner-up winner. And, I think you'd agree, it's kind of sweet.

That essay, with its title lifted from the lyrics of an Avril Lavigne song, can be found online here

It's been nearly four years since I wrote the essay, two years since I began learning Korean. Expect a follow-up here soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home