In Korean, Mark requires two syllables: Ma-keu.

A half-Korean American student in Seoul during the Summer of 2006

Sunday, August 20, 2006

My stomach's sayin' let's go, but my heart is saying no

I am desperate for gooey cookies right now. Cookies and cheap, good pizza. Pizza and a pesto chicken with sandwich with fresh mozerella and tomatoes from Gourmet Heaven.

A few bouts of indigestion have plagued me over the past week. My mouth has a inkling for spicy Korean peppers and sauces that my digestive tract just doesn't share. It put up a good fight these past two-and-a-half months, but in my final days here, it's started to peter out.

It's time to go home. To a few days of dry, gorgeous sunshine, In N Out burgers, old friends, and family. To a week of veggies and freshman on a Connecticut farm. To a semester of classes, meetings, and midnight coffee runs to power me through the night. To decide whether I'll do this all over again--in a different sort of way--in London come spring.

It's really time to go, my stomach warns me, grumbling--just now--over over the peppers I ate with dinner tonight.

It's time to go home for now, yes. I've spent all but two American dollars. I've finished the last of my gift shopping in a rushed afternoon. I've packed my bags and given the landlord my keys. I've had enough of matching couples, packed subways, and trash-filled streets; but, I haven't had enough of Seoul. I haven't had enough of Korea. I haven't seen enough of my hal muh ni(grandmother). I need to live here again.

Goodbye for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kaila said...

heck yeah you're living here again ... WOO -- p.s. korea's not the same without you :0(

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

university of delaware

8:34 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

maark we'l be in korea again soon! time to update your blog!

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home